I have never been a huge floral fan, but these are all growing on me more and more. Interesting that the primary benefit of all florals is calming and soothing, so maybe that explains it. Florals are calming for skin, joints and mood. Sounds like a perfect solution for many things, right?
Clary Sage, Geranium, Helichrysum, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, and Ylang Ylang are all considered the doTERRA floral oils. Frequently used in perfumes, these oils come from the flower of their plant of origin, whether it be an herb or tree. This is with the exception of Geranium that comes from the flower as well as the rest of the plant.
Floral oils are steam distilled due to the delicate nature of their compounds that would be damaged in higher heat. However, only Clary Sage and Lavender share a similar chemical makeup with their main constituents being linalool and linalyl acetate. Each of the other floral oils possess their own unique chemical makeup. All of these oils can also be used aromatically, topically, or internally.
The common properties that the floral oils share include emotional benefits as well as benefits to the skin and hair. Lavender, Ylang Ylang, and Clary Sage have calming properties when you need stress-relief. To smooth or improve the appearance of skin, all you need is Geranium, Helichrysum, or Roman Chamomile. Clary Sage, Geranium, Roman Chamomile, or Ylang Ylang can all be added shampoo or conditioner (or massaged directly onto your scalp) to give your hair and scalp a healthy appearance.
Read on for the unique uses of each of these oils.
- During your menstrual cycle, apply two to four drops to abdomen for a soothing abdominal massage
- Apply one to two drops to the bottom of your feet or on pulse points to take advantage of the powerfully soothing aroma
- Apply one to two drops to your pillow for a restful night’s sleep
Main Constituents: Linalyl acetate, linalool
- Combine with Fractionated Coconut Oil to give your partner a sensual massage
- Apply under your arms after a sweaty workout or a day in the sun
- Place one drop in the palm of your hands, rub hands together, and cup over nose and mouth and breathe slowly for a grounding effect
- Add to your next DIY potpourri
- Put a few drops on a cotton ball and place around your home to naturally repel insects
Main Constituents: Citronellol, citronellyl formate, geraniol
- Apply topically to reduce the appearance of blemishes
- Apply to the face to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and to promote a glowing, youthful complexion
- Use Helichrysum in conjunction with a full body massage to promote vitality and energy
- Massage into the temples and back of neck for a soothing sensation
- Take two drops in a veggie capsule, as it may help promote a healthy metabolism*
Main Constituents: Neryl acetate, alpha pinene, γ-curcumene
- Use directly on skin to soothe the occasional skin irritation, or to reduce the appearance of skin imperfections
- Take in water or a veggie capsule to reduce anxious feelings and help ease feelings of tension
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet for a restful night’s sleep
- Refresh your mattress, car, or even the air with a light mist of a few drops Lavender combined with water in a spray bottle
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavors and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts
- Take one to two drops internally in a veggie capsule for a peaceful sleep
Main Constituents: Linalool, linalyl acetate
- Take one to two drops in water to soothe the systems of the body
- Has a calming effect on the mind and body when taken internally
- Taking one to two drops in a veggie capsule may help to support healthy immune system function
- Set the stage for sleep by diffusing one to two drops, or apply to the bottom of your feet at bedtime
- Diffuse to soothe away feelings of anger and irritability
- Apply to wrists and neck for a peaceful evening at home
- Apply to chest over heart for feelings of well-being
Main Constituents: 4-methylamyl angelate, isobutyl angelate, isoamyl tiglate
- Add to doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil for a deep hair conditioner and beat the damaging summer heat
- Diffuse two to four drops to promote a positive outlook
- Take one to two drops internally for antioxidant support
- Create relaxing atmosphere by adding it to an Epsom salt bath to help you unwind
Main Constituents: Germacrene, caryophyllene
If you are curious how to use essential oils and need to basics, check out this gorgeous ebook and then reach out to me for some guidance and samples.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.