Keeping a journal can be one of the best tools in your mind/body toolbox. Why?
- Writing down your thoughts can be a place to purge emotions, judgments and all the yuck in your head that has a hard time leaving. Your journal entries can be as messy and scribbled as you racing thoughts, and that is okay. What matters is that the thoughts–and often worries–are moved from your internal state to an external state which often leads to release and the clarity.
- Reviewing where you have been can foster a sense of growth and accomplishment. Sometimes reviewing what you were feeling during a certain time period can be refreshing to your current outlook. I find that reviewing my journal a few times a year grounds me and reminds me of my goals and vision.
- Taking the time to write down what you are grateful can be a wonderful reminder on those days when you feel hopeless or lost. Simply seeing that on a previous day what you were grateful for can lift your mood and remind you of your purpose.
- Begin with intention. I take my time in choosing my journal for the year. I am mindful about which journal calls to me. It has to feel ‘right’. Then at the start of a new year, I sit in meditation and get really quiet. My intention for the meditation is to find a word that will be embedded into my coming year. Usually this has little thought and is a much more a heart-centered intention. Most times I have no idea how ‘the word’ will show up, but upon review of my year it is sometimes startling to see just how it did.
- Journaling can help to cultivate your dreams and vision for your life. Simply writing down what it is you desire can help you to bring those ideas into fruition. Similar to a vision board, a journal can be doodles, words, or pictures of the vision you have for yourself.
2 thoughts on “The Journal Tool”
Interesting topic Staice. I totally agree with you on the concepts of using a journal. My thoughts could race so often I lose track of my original goals. I sometimes suspect I have a small case of ADHD. Anyway, great post and keep up the work!
Thanks! You too!
LikeLiked by 1 person