The thyroid, located in the front of the neck, is a small butterfly-shaped organ. It plays a mighty role in your health by producing hormones which travel throughout the body. These hormones regulate our hearts, digestion, muscle control, and equally important, brain development. As a result, you need your thyroid to be performing well to feel well. Did you know that there are many essential oils for thyroid support?
First let’s look at why the thyroid is so important. Thyroid hormones affect your metabolism rate, which means how fast or slow your brain, heart, muscles, liver, and other parts of your body work. Amazing, Huh?
Paying attention to the language your body is speaking can really give you insight to your thyroid working too fast or too slowly. For example, if you don’t have enough thyroid hormone, you might feel tired and cold. Or, if you have too much thyroid hormone, you might feel nervous, jumpy, and warm.
The thyroid is controlled by the pituitary gland which oversees thyroid hormone production. Additionally, it tells the thyroid to make more or less according to what the body needs. The pituitary gland is even smaller, about the size of a pea, yet still vitally important to our health. In fact, we can use essential oils for thyroid and pituitary support to keep our body working at it’s best.
The best essential oils for thyroid support are Lemongrass, Myrrh, Clove, Frankincense, Basil and Peppermint.
- Frankincense – Frankincense, also known as the “King of oils”, is a powerfully supportive oil for the body. Its complex chemistry, coupled with a high ratio of Monoterpenes (25%), make it a multi-purpose oil and a strong support on a cellular and DNA level. Furthermore, Frankincense is calming for the immune and nervous systems, skin and emotions.
- Myrrh – Because Myrrh is very high in Sesquiterpenes (75%), it is a strong support for the thyroid. Sesquiterpenes also stimulate the limbic system, hypothalamus, pineal and pituitary glands.
- Clove – Clove is a powerful antioxidant and immune support for the body. High in phenols which stimulate the immune and nervous system, they further help keep your cells performing well.
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass is high in aldehydes (up to 80%). This works to calm the nervous system, relieve stress and promote relaxation while also being uplifting. Combine with Clove, Myrrh and Frankincense for a daily thyroid support blend.
- Peppermint – Peppermint gives us a natural energy boost. If you’re tired, it’s a wonderful pick-me-up during the day, especially in those late afternoon hours. Try it in a diffuser, put a drop in your hands to inhale or just smell from the bottle. It is also supportive to the thyroid.
- Basil – Basil is actually known as a fabulous support for the adrenal system. When the thyroid is out of balance then the adrenals usually are too, and visa versa. So support for one is support for the other. Dilute Basil and apply over the adrenal glands (on both sides of the back, just under the rub cage) daily.
Remember, essential oils are so potent that it doesn’t take much to be effective. This roller blend will last about TWO months and each bottle of essential oils is 250 drops! That means you’ll have a long supply of thyroid support, but also the oils in this blend are incredibly versatile and you’ll find TONS of uses for them.
If you’d like to learn the basics of essential oils, check out this handy guide. It’s super easy to get these oils at wholesale prices, just pop over here OR I am happy to make you a thyroid blend to try before you invest!
Follow me for more goodness!